Do you love biking, but hate having to haul cargo around? Do you wish there was a way to easily transport your chilren, or large items, without having to use a car or public transport? If so, then you need a cargo bike!
Cargo bikes are perfect in many circumstances, and they can be used for both short and long trips.
Here are 7 reasons why you should invest in a cargo bike:
1. They're fun
- There are lots of practical reasons to get a cargo bike, but it's hard to go past how fun they are!
- The feeling of zooming through the city will put a big grin on your face.
- Zipping through traffic, past gridlocked cars, will make you smugly satisfied.
- Modern cargo bikes have all sorts of great features, like suspension, and stepless gearing.
2. They're easy to park
- Parking in Sydney is a nightmare. It's impossible to find a spot near your destination.
- When you find a spot, chances are you'll have to walk a long way.
- Parking can be expensive, and time-limited.
- With a cargo bike you can roll up right outside your destination, lock up and walk straight in.
- This makes them perfect for daycare or school drop-offs.
3. They'll save you money
- Cargo bikes are so much cheaper than cars, both to purchase and to run.
- With petrol prices skyrocketing, there's never been a better time to switch to a cargo bike.
- Even a powerful electric cargo bike only costs a few cents worth of energy to recharge.
- There are no licensing or registration costs for cargo bikes.
Above: Even the top-of-the-line Riese & Muller Load 60 will save you money compared to driving.
4. They're environmentally friendly
- Cars produce all sorts of nasty pollutants, apart from the obvious CO2 emissions from burning petrol.
- Cars exhaust contains particulates that cause asthma, other respiratory illnesses, and contribute to shortening the lifespan of people in cities.
- Car tyres generate huge quantities of rubber particles that pollute the air, soil and water.
- On the other hand, cargo bikes have a hugely reduced impact on the environment, while still allowing you to transport everything you need.
5. They'll make you healthier
- Research shows that incidental exercise is important for staying healthy.
- If you ride by cargo bike, you'll find yourself exercising when you would have been driving.
- Building exercise into your day by riding a cargo bike is great for your health.
- You'll be less exposed to car exhaust pollution when riding a bike than if you're in a car, even when riding in traffic.
- You'll also be modelling healthy, active transport for your kids.
6. They're versatile
- People often buy cargo bikes to carry their children, but they find themselves using their cargo bike for all sorts of trips.
- You can easily fit a week's worth of groceries on most cargo bikes.
- They're easy to ride with a big load on them, as they're designed to carry lots of cargo.
- They're often used by couriers to carry big, bulky boxes around the city.
- In Europe, cargo bikes are replacing vans for urban deliveries.
7. Your kids will love it
- Kids love being on cargo bikes - the feeling of being out in the world, looking around them, is so much better than being in a car.
- There are all sorts of kid-specific accessories for cargo bikes, ensuring that your children will be comfortable and safe on your cargo bike.
- It's easier to chat with your kids when you're on a cargo bike.
- You'll stoke their passion for cycling.
- Their friends will ask if they can have a ride too!
Above: Riding on a cargo bike like the Riese & Muller Multicharger Mixte is fun for your kids, as well as for you!
If you’re looking for a bike that is perfect for your needs, cargo bikes are a great choice.
You can find them in our online store or at our Alexandria shop. Check out our selection, and book an in-store consultation today!